Top tips for maximising savings from your solar PV system
- If possible, use an appliance during the day when the solar PV is generating power rather than in the evening or overnight.
- Greater savings are possible by using high-power electric appliances at times when the solar panels are generating most. This will typically be in the middle of the day when it is sunny.
- Use larger appliances one at a time to minimise the electricity coming from the grid
- Run washing machine and dishwasher cycles at a lower temperature
- If it is safe, use timers on appliances which can run while you are out during the day
- Consider getting a smart meter and use the in-home display which comes with it to monitor the electricity you are purchasing from the grid
- Consider cooking your evening meal during the day using a slow cooker on low power rather than by using the hob or oven in the evening.
Other energy and money saving tips
- Use energy efficient, ideally A+++ rated appliances
- Microwaves use less power than an electric oven
- Only fill a kettle with the amount of water you need
- Cook with lids on pans so you can turn down the power
- Wash your clothes on a sunny day and dry them outside on the clothes-line, avoiding use of the tumble dryer
- Turn off appliances when they are not being used
- Don’t leave appliances on standby – turn them off at the wall
- Switch energy supplier – the solar PV system does not restrict your ability to switch energy supplier to get a better tariff rate.