Ongo Homes installed three different types of innovative full heating systems into 30 properties from their social housing stock. Existing heating was removed and replaced with one of the three technologies: 14 Logicor infrared radiator systems, 10 Daikin Altherma hybrid heat pumps and six Sunamp heat batteries.
Eighteen of the 30 properties with new heating systems were monitored, as well as five control properties for comparison. The heating was installed into a range of different property types, with different tenant profiles. Householders were asked to record their energy usage and this combined with the readings from the monitoring equipment has enabled analysis of the technologies and assessment of their running costs and suitability for social housing.
The project had the following aims:
- To assess the suitability of the three types of heating for social housing tenants
- To evaluate the running costs and energy use of the three heating systems
- To trial the Sunamp heat batteries with different off-peak electricity tariffs
- To assess tenants’ views of the heating systems
- To evaluate the heating performance in terms of thermal comfort
Download the final report here