Warm and Safe Homes Advice

Additional Help

Below we have listed some trusted organisations that may also be able to help you, you might also want to look at our advice page on struggling to pay and our wide selection of resources and guides.

Struggling to pay your bills

Energy suppliers

If you are struggling to afford your energy bills then you should first contact your energy supplier as they have a range of possible options which may be able to help you. More information on the type of help offered be energy suppliers is available here.

Local authority

Your local authority may be able to support with your energy issue directly through the Household Support Fund (in England) or Winter Fuel Support Scheme (in Wales) or point you towards local services in your area who can help you.

The Household Support Fund provides funding to help people who are struggling to afford food and utility bills (heating, cooking, lighting) and water (including drinking, washing, cooking, central heating, sewerage and sanitary purposes). This support is not provided directly by NEA and you should contact your own local council. If you are not sure who your local authority is you can type in your postcode to find out at https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council

For more information on the Household Support Fund click here

For more information on the Winter Fuel Support Scheme in Wales click here

Find out contacts for your county council here

Find out who your local councillor is here who may also be able to assist you.

If you are finding it difficult to pay your bills the services below may help

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice Consumer Advice Line: 0808 223 1133. You can call the Citizens Advice consumer line for help and support with debt, income maximisation or about your energy bills or visit their website at www.citizensadvice.org.uk

If you can’t hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say: 18001 then 0808 223 1133.

You can use Relay UK with an app or a textphone. There’s no extra charge to use it. Find out how to use Relay UK on the Relay UK website.

Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Lines are closed on bank holidays.

To contact a Welsh-speaking adviser: 0808 223 1144

Benefits Advice & Charitable Grants

You can complete an online benefit check yourself using a trusted independent benefits calculator.

Benefit calculators can help you work out:

  • what benefits you might be entitled to; and
  • how to claim

Independent calculators are available through

If you need help with understanding your entitlement you can speak to your local Citizens Advice.

Lighting Reach is a free online portal that connects you to financial support from various sources, quickly and securely – all in one place. This may include grants from charities, funding from your local council or support with your utility bills. 

Debt Advice

If you are struggling with debt it can be difficult to know where to get help that you can trust. The Money Helper website has a list of free debt advice services that may be able to help you. Including:

StepChange, Payplan and National Debtline all who can offer free debt advice and budgeting support.

Water help

Help with your water bills

Every water company in England and Wales offers affordability support schemes and water efficiency measures take a look at the Consumer Council for Water (CCWater) advice hub or Ask Bill askbill.org.uk for more information about what might be available in your area.

You can find out more about how to save water with the following organisations:

Food help

Food Banks

To find your nearest food bank visit: Find a Food Bank – The Trussell Trust – you will usually need to obtain a food voucher from a local agency or alternatively contact the free helpline on 0808 208 2138 to speak with a trained Citizens Advice adviser.  

If you have a smart phone, apps like OLIO and TooGoodToGo are trying to tackle food waste by letting people know when there is food which would otherwise go to waste being sold at a low cost nearby.

Help on energy saving and smart metering

Household Energy

www.gov.uk/improve-energy-efficiency is the UK Government’s website for information on energy efficiency improvements you can make to your home. You can also find more information on grants available to help. (on the word grants include the link to

In Wales, the Welsh Government’s Nest scheme also offers free, impartial advice and, if you are eligible, a package of free home energy efficiency improvements such as a new boiler, central heating or insulation. Call Nest on 0808 808 2244 or visit nest.gov.wales to find out more.

Energy Saving Trust

Energy Saving Trust is an independent organisation and trusted voice on energy efficiency solutions. Take a look at their website for tips on ways to save energy in your home.

Smart Energy GB

Smart Energy GB is the not-for-profit, government-backed campaign helping everyone in Britain understand the importance of smart meters and their benefits to people and the environment. If you would like to understand more about smart metering take a look here.

Emergency Contact Numbers

Gas leaks

0800 111 999

If you smell gas or suspect a gas leak call the National Gas Emergency Service 24 hours a day on 0800 111 999. If you are D/deaf or hard of hearing a text phone service is available on 18001 0800 371 787.

Power cuts


If you have a power cut call the national power cut line on 105.

If you need to talk

116 123


Always open

0300 123 3393

Open 9am-6pm weekdays

0800 585858

Open 5pm-midnight

0800 123 737

Always open


0808 808 4994

Open 4pm-11pm

Under 25s