Tackling the Cold
This course is designed for frontline staff working with vulnerable and low-income groups who are at risk from cold weather.
It will consider the impacts of the cold on health and identify sources of assistance and advice to help householders prepare for cold weather.
Tackling the Cold is designed for frontline staff working with vulnerable and low-income groups who are at risk from cold weather.
- explain the risks posed by the cold
- explain practical ways of preparing for cold weather
- explain heat loss in the home
- explain sources of advice and assistance for achieving a warmer home
- Health impacts associated with the cold
- Recommended indoor temperatures
- Excess Winter Deaths
- Groups at greater risk of harm from cold weather
- Practical tips to help high risk groups prepare for cold weather
- Heat loss in the home
- Signposting to help and assistance including:
- Warm Home Discount Scheme
- Winter Fuel Payment and Cold Weather Payment
- Local welfare assistance fund, household support fund 2023-24 and Discretionary Assistance fund in Wales
- Energy Company Obligation (ECO)
- Nest fuel poverty scheme in Wales
- Home Upgrade Grant in England
- Ofgem’s Fuel Poor Network Extension Scheme
- Priority Services Register – fuel suppliers and Distribution Network Operators (DNO)
Please note that the course content will focus mainly on England and Wales. If you are based in Northern Ireland or Scotland and interested in this course, please contact email@example.com before booking so we can discuss the main differences.
The course can be delivered online via webinar or face-to-face in a classroom. Please select the relevant button below for further details on the course format, fees, dates etc.
Lynsey Thompson, Training Co-ordinator, NEA
Tel: 0191 261 5677