Warm and Safe Homes Advice

Finding Help Elsewhere

Energy suppliers

If you are struggling to afford your energy bills then your energy supplier may be able to help you. More information on the type of help offered be energy suppliers is available here.

Local authority

Your local authority may be able to support with your energy issue directly through the Winter Grant Scheme (England only) or point you towards local services in your area who can help you. If you are not sure who your local authority is you can type in your postcode to find out at https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council

The Winter Grant Scheme provides funding to County Councils and unitary authorities in England (including metropolitan councils and London boroughs) to help people who are struggling to afford food and utility bills (heating, cooking, lighting) and water (including drinking, washing, cooking, central heating, sewerage and sanitary purposes). This support is not provided directly by NEA and you should contact your own County Councils and local authority.

For more information on the Winter Grant Scheme click here

Find out contacts for your county council here

Find out who your local councillor is here who may also be able to assist you.

Simple Energy Advice

www.simpleenergyadvice.org.uk is the Government endorsed website for information on reducing energy bills, energy efficiency improvements you can make to your home and available grants and funds. Contact 0800 444 202 if you need help with using the website.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice Consumer Advice Line: 0808 223 1133. You can call the Citizens Advice consumer line for help and support with debt, income maximisation or about your energy bills or visit their website at www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Relay UK – if you can’t hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say: 18001 then 0808 223 1133.

You can use Relay UK with an app or a textphone. There‚Äôs no extra charge to use it. Find out how to use Relay UK on the Relay UK website.

Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Lines are closed on bank holidays.

To contact a Welsh-speaking adviser: 0808 223 1144

Gas leaks

If you smell gas or suspect a gas leak call the National Gas Emergency Service 24 hours a day on 0800 111 999. If you are D/deaf or hard of hearing a text phone service is available on 18001 0800 371 787.

Power cuts

If you have a power cut call the national power cut line on 105.


If things are getting on top of you and you need someone to talk to any time of the day or night you can call the Samaritans on 116 123 for free or email jo@samaritans.org