Donate your Northern Ireland High Street Scheme voucher
If you are a resident in Northern Ireland and aged 18 or over, you are eligible to apply to receive a £100 Spend Local prepaid card to spend in local businesses across Northern Ireland. This is an initiative of the NI Executive’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) recovery programme.
The scheme is open until 30 November and will take up to five weeks for all the cards to be delivered, giving everyone a minimum four weeks to spend the £100.
- 4 October – first Spend Local prepaid cards issue
- 11 October – telephone service opens for applications
- 25 October – online portal and telephone service for applications closes
- 25 October – the last qualifying date for those turning 18 to be eligible to apply for a Spend Local card
- 30 November – High Street Scheme closes and the Spend Local prepaid cards will cease to be valid
Further information on the scheme can be found here:
Donating your ‘Spend Local prepaid Card’
Each winter, many people struggle to heat their homes. The impacts of living in a cold, damp home cause unnecessary suffering for millions and continues to kill as many people as smoking and alcohol abuse.
In later life, the cold enhances the risks of health conditions including cardiovascular and respiratory diseases, falls and injuries, and mental health, costing the NHS an estimated £1.36 billion each year.
At NEA, we believe that everyone should live in a warm and safe home, but to do this, we need your help.
We know that around one in five households in Northern Ireland struggle with Fuel Poverty. NEA are concerned that the ‘perfect storm’ of higher energy prices, reduced incomes, and leaky, inefficient housing could put many households in Northern Ireland at increased risk of fuel poverty this coming winter. As wholesale energy prices continue to rise there is a risk that consumers in Northern Ireland will face further price hikes in the coming months. These increases come at a time when many household budgets are already stretched thin. The winding down of the furlough scheme and the withdrawal of uplifts to Universal Credit will put further stress on many families in Northern Ireland.
We need your support to help mitigate the worst impacts of the coming winter.
If you are eligible for a Spend Local prepaid Card, but feel as though you don’t need it, please consider a donation in kind to help those struggling to stay warm this winter.
By donating the equivalent of your Spend Local Card to NEA, we can:
- Provide life-changing energy efficiency advice
- Help to provide essential winter items to those in need through a hardship fund
- Offer assistance to those struggling with fuel debt
- Make vital referrals to help vulnerable customers access extra support
- Provide benefits advice and supporting people with applications
To make a donation we simply ask that you use your voucher to cover some of your regular monthly expenditure, such as a weekly food shop, and then donate the equivalent savings to NEA by using the donate button at the top and bottom of this page.
With your support we can provide a lifeline to those in need this winter.