This project was led by Arun District Council in West Sussex. It involved the installation of Honeywell evohome intelligent heating controls and traditional thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) in homes where residents previously had no (or old, basic) TRVs. Energy monitors were also installed to help residents understand electricity use. The aims were:
- To assess savings in energy use/heating costs as a result of installing intelligent heating control systems compared to standard TRVs and therefore the potential contribution they could make to address fuel poverty.
- To examine the impact of the controls on residents’ comfort, and assess their satisfaction.
- To encourage behaviour change in the use of TRVs in the home through improving understanding of how to use them.
- To help inform interested parties of the benefits of investment in intelligent heating controls in a fuel poverty setting.
- To assess any impact of the electricity monitors have on household behaviour and energy use by using data from the monitors.
Download the full report here