Protect the Warm Home Discount
The Government’s Warm Home Discount Scheme offers a lifeline for those struggling to stay warm at home. As well as providing rebates of £140 on electricity bills for those on very low incomes, the Industry Initiative strand also funds organisations like NEA to help people navigate the complexities of the energy market, rescue them from fuel debt and install essential measures such as a new boiler or central heating system. In 2018-19 that meant more than 2.2 million people received rebates totalling £310 million; and 500,000 people received additional support worth over £30 million.
The scheme is currently due to end in 2021, and without an extension millions of people will miss out on energy rebates, as well as wider support to help them stay warm at home. It’s also crucial that a future scheme is expanded to ensure that eligible low income, working-age households automatically receive the rebate each year.
To help secure the future of the Warm Home Discount we’ve launched a joint campaign with Fair By Design. Our joint report highlights the issues and key asks of Government, the Energy Industry and Ofgem. You can also read our press release here.
What can I do?
We need your support. The easiest way to do this is to take to social media to help shout about the Warm Home Discount and its impacts.
- If you are delivering WHD Industry Initiatives then share some of the positive stories about the difference it has made using the hashtag #WarmHomeDiscount.
- If you have helped someone access the Warm Home Discount rebate then share their story
- If you or your clients have benefited from WHD Industry Initiatives then highlight the difference it has made. For example, if you’ve recently accessed any free training from NEA; had NEA deliver awareness sessions for you or your clients; or had NEA advisors support with difficult fuel poverty cases then it is likely this was only possible because of WHD Industry Initiatives.
- You can follow us on social media and share our posts
- You can also tweet your support – and there are a range of graphics at the bottom of the page and a link to our video summary of asks here.
You can find us on Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to use the hashtag #WarmHomeDiscount for any activity on Twitter. Some of the Twitter handles you may also wish to include are your @Ofgem @hmtreasury @beisgovuk and your constituency MP.
Thank you for your support. If you have any questions or would like to provide feedback please email email@example.com.
Published on 24-02-2020