Warm and Safe Homes Awards 2018
The Warm and Safe Homes Campaign (WASH) is NEA’s annual winter initiative (previously the Warm Homes Campaign), focusing on the need for people to be able to stay warm and safe in their homes. The campaign raises awareness amongst both politicians and members of the public of the problem of fuel poverty and the action needed to be taken at a policy level; as well as the help and support available locally for those struggling to heat their homes. It also emphasises that living in a cold and damp home is a significant risk to health and safety.
The campaign runs from Wednesday 28 November (21st November in Wales) to Fuel Poverty Awareness Day on Friday 15 February 2019.
The Warm and Safe Homes Campaign Awards provide grants to enable a number of not-for-profit and statutory organisations based in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales with the funds needed to support relevant events and activities taking place during the campaign period. This may include launches of strategies and action plans; energy efficiency awareness days; advice sessions; project visits by VIPs; and other innovative ways of communicating the issues around fuel poverty and energy efficiency locally. Successful organisations will be expected to promote their events to the local media as part of the campaign, as well as engage the support of MPs and other local elected representatives. There are two categories:
- A grant of up to £500 for agencies delivering activities in urban areas
- A grant of up to £1,000 for agencies delivering activities in rural areas. This grant is supported by Calor and recognises the higher costs of delivering programmes in the countryside.
October 2018 – Launch of scheme
2 January 2019 to 15 February 2019 – Events to be held
15 March 2019 – All evaluations completed and sent to NEA
The Warm and Safe Homes Campaign Award Scheme is open to all not-for-profit and statutory organisations wishing to hold events in England and Wales during the campaign period specified. The latest date on which an event may be held is 15 February 2019 (Fuel Poverty Awareness Day). Previous winners of other award schemes administered by NEA are also eligible to apply (for example, NEA and Vaillant Heat Heroes, NEA and British Gas Energy Impact Award).
Types of events
Events should in some way showcase the work being undertaken locally to reduce fuel poverty. They may be aimed at members of the public or stakeholders depending on what is most relevant.
A condition of being awarded a grant is that you must try to engage the support of your MP. Ideally we would like them involved at the event but if this is not possible a message of support to use with the local press will help us gain media coverage for your event.
Applications will be assessed by NEA staff and judged against the following criteria:
Eligibility (see above)
• The involvement of MPs and other elected representatives in activity (events that are held on Fridays would be more likely to secure MP attendance)
• The relevance to the campaign
• Expected impact and reach
Where there is a tiebreak situation, priority will be given to applications from NEA members. Please note that due to the volume of entries expected NEA will not be able to provide individual feedback on unsuccessful applications.
Following their events, winners will be asked to submit a short impact report on their event(s), which should be no more than two sides of A4.
Winners will be expected to undertake the following:
- Deliver their activity as specified in their application form
- Invite local MPs and elected representatives to attend the event and keep NEA up to date on expected attendees
- Promote the event to the local media. NEA will provide guidance and assistance on this
- Work with NEA to showcase the event and/or wider activities to other key stakeholders within the context of the campaign
- Provide a short impact report on their event
You can complete an online form HERE.
Or you can download a Word version HERE.
If you have any queries contact Mike Potter or phone 0191 261 5677.